Thursday, June 6, 2013

Pop Culture Paganism: Using Yu-Gi-Oh and the Heart of the Cards in Tarot

For anyone who does not know what Yu-Gi-Oh is, it is an anime. I grew up watching the show and playing the card game with all the other kids in the neighborhood. Just recently I found my old Yu-Gi-Oh deck of cards. I'm amazed I still have them! As I was looking through the cards I had an idea. I can do tarot readings with these cards!

So I did just that. It was surprisingly accurate but then again, I was reading for myself. I know myself so it was easier to read the cards.

But holding and doing a tarot reading with the Yu-Gi-Oh cards got me thinking. These cards and elements from the anime would be perfect to use in divination.

The phrase "heart of the cards" is used a lot in the dub version of Yu-Gi-Oh. It is basically referring to some unseen energy that, when called upon sincerely, brings the card that the duelist (person playing the card game) desperately needs to the front of the deck. Whenever a good character from the show looked like he or she was about to lose, they would believe in the heart of the cards and all would end well (usually).

This concept of the heart of the cards would work perfectly with tarot readings. Before you begin to shuffle the deck, hold the deck in your hand, focus all of your energy into the deck and say something like "I believe in the heart of the cards." You'll get the cards you need after that. This probably is not a new or unique idea but I felt like making a post about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment